Tuesday, September 16, 2014

San Francisco Sights

California is known as the home of movie stars, sunny weather, and beautiful beaches. This perception, while true in the southern portion of the state, does not apply to its north counterpart known as the Bay Area.  The hub of this area, San Francisco, might not be hot, but its attractions sure are! So bring your favorite sweater with you and visit these amazing locations:

1. The Golden Gate Bridge
The most famous landmark in San Francisco is also the most impressive. The Golden Gate Bridge is accompanied by a viewing area that allows visitors to take pictures from the perfect vantage point. The site also includes facts about the construction and maintenance of the bridge. There are separate walking and biking sections located on the bridge to let pedestrians cross at their own pace.

2. City Tour Bus
The best way to see everything San Francisco has to offer is to take a hop on/hop off tour bus. These buses have open-air-second levels that allow you to take in the sights comfortably. If a stop sounds interesting, then passengers can leave the bus and get on another without paying anything extra. Tickets cost between $50 and $100 depending if you opt for the 24 or 48 hour pass.

3. Golden Gate Park
One of the frequented stops on tour buses is Golden Gate Park. For $10, tourists can peruse art displays at the de Young Museum. Spending $30 allows visitors access to both the California Academy of Sciences and the Golden Gate Aquarium. Numerous gardens and flower arrangements can be found throughout the premises. Crossing 1,000 acres on foot may sound daunting, so the park provides guided Segway tours. These narrated tours cost $70 per person, cover the whole park and still give tourists time for pictures. 

San Francisco may not share the glamour of Los Angeles, but it holds its own as one of the top tourist destinations in California.

7 comments:

  1. Dakota,

    I enjoyed my brief trip to San Francisco, and now wish I could go again just to spend more time at Golden Gate Park. My brother, his wife and I were planning to drive by the bridge, but ended up in the lane to go over it. So we enjoyed our brief visit on the other side, taking in the vista. It's beautiful, and such a high to drive over something I've only grown up seeing on TV, in movies, and in photographs. And if you ever meet my brother, I did not scream as we went across the bridge; he's exaggerating. I may have been white-knuckled and kept my eyes closed as we crossed (did I mention I HATE bridges?!), but I enjoyed myself once we were across!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is the same way! He always worries about bridges collapsing as we go over them.

      Delete
  2. Your article makes tourism in California seem interesting and, more importantly, easy. Is there a specific stop on the tour bus that you wanted to stop and see?

    The only time I've been to California was when I was very young, all I can remember well was the blistering heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to do most of the stops that I wanted to see on the tour bus. I would've liked to have spent more time in Golden Gate Park though since there is a ton of things to do there.

      If you don't like the heat in California, then you'd probably enjoy San Francisco!

      Delete
  3. I was actually just in San Francisco a couple months ago myself, and I agree, it was a fantastic place to be!

    My favorite part was the Golden Gate Bridge. I thought it was just so incredible to see in person.

    Your blog post is very intriguing to read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been to San Francisco in a long time. I like what you covered and your inclusion of the tour bus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to plan a trip to California soon so these are some great recommendations! Sounds like you made the most of your time there.

    ReplyDelete